Answered By: Lisa Moore Last Updated: Mon,Sep,2018 Views: 969
Dissertation guidelines require different styles of numbering for various parts of the text:
- Title page & Copyright Declaration - no numbering
- Abstract, Acknowledgements, Contents, List of Tables & Figures -small case Roman Numerals (i, ii, iii, iv, etc.)
- Main body, starting from chapter 1 - Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4 etc.)
- Appendices - use letter name of appendix and Roman Numerals (A-1, A-2, B-1 etc.)
Page Breaks are used to separate these parts of the text into sections allowing different numbering formats to be applied to each.
Creating a section using page break
Creating a Section Break
- Open document and place the cursor at the end of text on the page where you want the first section to end
- Go to the Page Layout tab and in the Breaks dropdown menu select Next Page to create the page break
(If this action creates a space or blank page just hit the Delete button to remove it, not the return key)
- Next place the cursor on the first page of the next section, go to Insert tab and select Page Number (beside Header & footer)
- Click on Bottom of Page from drop down list
The Footer bar will appear at the bottom of the page (Header will appear if Top of page is selected) displaying the Section name e.g. Section 1, Section 2.
It will also display whether the numbering format has continued from the previous section (if on a second or subsequent section). This will display as Same as Previous. If Same as Previous is present on the Footer (or Header) bar on the page, the Link to Previous tab will be highlighted in yellow in the Design Toolbar at the top of the page
Turning off Link to Previous in section formatting
- Click Link to Previous to turn it off, this removes the Same as Previous tabs from the Header & Footer in this section of the document and allows a new formatting style to be inserted.
- Click on Page Number from Header Footer Tool bar at top of page
- Select Format Page Numbers
- Choose the appropriate Number Format for the relevant section e.g. lower case Roman Numerals
- Edit the Page Numbering to Start at a particular number or Continue from the previous section.
- Click OK
Adding page number format e.g. Roman Numerals
To add a different numbering format
- Click on the Footer in Section 2
- Repeat steps 1-5 changing the Number Format as required
- This is a great help thanks Lisa. I have been asked this question a few times this week.